Once the warm weather hits, if you can call 40C warm, I tend to eat just fruit and salads. Its a good thing, as Martha would put it. The temperature isn't the only thing over 40 and it doesn't hurt to watch the waist and eat healthy.
Salad Nicoise,is a French composed salad with tuna, green beans, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, onion, capers, and potatoes. Sometime it has anchovies, and it usually has a tarragon vinaigrette.
I must include a word or warning here in regards to this beautiful, oh so rare tuna. If you are going to a cottage and pick up a salad containing said tuna, put in the car on a very hot, humid day and then in the fridge and then proceed to serve it at dinner....
You may get sick :( I did, and I know better. Sheesh
Now, first of all dont feel at all bad if you think tuna looks like this. It does look like that, and its ok. Dont let the foodies and the snobs get to you!
Use what you have on hand. What I make more often than not is more tuna salad, er, Salad with tuna, than Nicose, but there are elements in particular that I must include to be satisfied. For me, the big 4 is the tuna, hard boiled egg, Olives and the capers. As long as I have those three I am a happy camper.
But when you want to dress to impress, so to speak, here is the real full recipe and a pretty picture from google to make you hungry.
- 2 grilled or otherwise cooked tuna steaks* (8 oz each) or 2-3 cans of tuna
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and either halved or quartered
- 10 small new red potatoes (each about 2 inches in diameter, about 1 1/4 pounds total), each potato scrubbed and quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium heads Boston lettuce or butter lettuce, leaves washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 small ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 8 ounces green beans,traditionally haricots vertes, stem ends trimmed and each bean halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup niçoise olives
- 2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and/or several anchovies (optional)(yuck)